Our Faculty is home to a wide range of facilities, which rank among the best-equipped facilities for teaching, research, sport and recreation of any university in Canada.
In addition to these, a new facility, the Physical Activity and Wellness Centre (PAW Centre) is in the design phase. This Centre is a collaboration between the Students' Union, Graduate Students' Association, the Faculty and the University of Alberta and is being designed to promote and foster the health and well-being of the campus community.
Who can use our facilities
Our sports and recreation facilities are open to students, faculty and staff, U of A alumni and members of the community with the exception of the fitness centre at Foote Field which is designated for the use of high-performance student-athletes. Community members are able to access the fitness centre at the Saville Sports Centre.
Van Vliet Centre
North Campus facilities are housed in the Van Vliet Centre, named for the faculty's founding dean, Dr. Maury Van Vliet.
Dr. Van Vliet served the University from 1945 to 1978 as a teacher, coach and administrator.
Facilities in this Centre include:
- The Clare Drake Arena (Ice Hockey)
- Main Gymnasium with 3 basketball, 4 volleyball and 12 badminton courts
- Aquatic Centre with two indoor pools
- Nine lecture theatres and classrooms
- Dance studio with 2 volleyball and 4 badminton courts
- 10 squash courts
- 3 multi-purpose gymnasiums
- 3 racquetball courts
- Weight training area
- Equipment Room - handles sports equipment, towel service, locker rentals for use in the VVC.
- Fitness and Lifestyle Centre - contains cardiovascular and strength-training equipment
- The Steadward Centre for Personal and Physical Achievement is a disability research centre and specialised fitness centre for people with physical disabilities
- Glen Sather Sports Medicine Clinic - provides physiotherapy and therapeutic massage services
Van Vliet Centre Usage and Access
The Van Vliet Centre can be found marked as number 82 on the West-Central campus map.
The Universiade Pavilion
A multi-sports facility and legacy of the 1983 Universiade Games, the Pavilion houses:
- Golden Bears and Pandas Athletics
- A 6-lane, 200 m indoor track
- 4 basketball/volleyball/tennis courts
- 4 badminton courts
- Long jump and pole vault
- Indoor soccer/field hockey
- Wrestling room
- Climbing wall
Other sports and fitness facilities
- Gymnastics Centre - Runs children's and adult's gymnastic programs.
- Varsity Field - multi-purpose green space with walking/running path located on the West side of the Van Vliet Centre.
South Campus facilities