Preparing to Apply
Thinking about graduate studies and not sure where to start? This checklist will help you narrow down your area of interest, and help you to determine which professors to approach to speak about what you propose to study:
- Look through the entire website to see what information each page contains.
- Then start to focus on the research areas that our professors and students are working in.
- Think about the topics you are interested in, and which research area might fit best with your interests.
- Once you know which area best matches your interests then contact the professor(s) who may be a close match to your interests.
- Usually e-mail is the best method to contact professors.
- Contact each professor to introduce yourself and describe your background, interests and goals.
- Ask if they will be taking on any new students in the next year and if they can provide you with any information on their current students or research.
- This communication is not intended to make any commitments, but to proivde the professors with information about your interest and passion.
- If you are interested in our program then you should proceed with submitting an application.
- Your application will be reivewed by the appropriate group of professors. They will eventuall make comments about your suitability for the graduate program, whether they would be interested in working with you and whether they have any funding to assist in supporting you.
- Make sure you check the admission and degree requirements and the deadline for accepting applications (March 1)
- If you are an international student, please review the wealth of information about studying at the University of Alberta at the Faculty of Graduate Studies and Research.
- Refer to the section ‘Apply’ for the details of the required documents for application.
Contact the Graduate Programs office.
Please note that our office will be closed December 25-January 2