Sport and Health Assessment Centre
The SHAC operates under the auspices of the Exercise Physiology Laboratoryand provides fitness testing services for the central and northern Alberta general and research communities.
Researchers in the SHAC are experts in
What our Centre does
The Centre can perform a variety of fitness and health assessments for:
- the general public and
- local, provincial, national or professional athletic teams, such as the Edmonton Oilers
- elite amateur athletes and teams.
The SHAC also provides assistance, such as metabolic testing, to other research units in other faculties at the University of Alberta, and other universities.
Graduate students in the Faculty are often involved in ongoing projects and may use subjects for research programs from the client population.
The data gathered at the SHAC helps
- establish fitness and health levels for activity, sports and occupations
- and the development of sport training and healthy activity programs.
- maximal oxygen consumption (VO2 max),
- resting metabolic rate determination, economy,
- ventilatory threshold.
- underwater weighing,
- skin folds,
- anthropometric measurements.
- Computerized cycle anaerobic power testing (Wingate)
Muscular strength, power and endurance
- Isokinetic assessment
- Timing lights for various lab and field-testing scenarios
Any type of exercise ergometry testing, such as
- cycle, rowing, arm crank
- Biochemical analysis of lactate, glucose, blood cell counts, etc.
- Training program design, such as strength, endurance and power.